In 1947, Mr. J.B. Daniel was moved with compassion to help families in need after the Great Depression era. He dedicated approximately 1000 acres located seventeen miles east of Fairfield, TX, and founded a home to help children and families in need. The properties and operation of the Home were transferred by the Daniel's family to the Texas Assemblies of God Districts in 1961.
The name of the Home has changed three times. Originally founded as the Daniel Memorial Orphanage in 1947, the name changed to Daniel Memorial Children's Home in 1962 and to Pleasant Hills Children's Home on May 1, 1970.
Pleasant Hills Children's Home is operated under the direction of a Board of Directors composed of 30 members and an Executive Director. The membership of the Board of Directors consists of the four district officials from the North, South and West Texas Districts, along with three ministers and three lay persons from each district. An Executive Director is appointed by the Board of Directors to administrate the operation of the Home.
Mrs. Martha Thomassen May 2001 – to present, Development Director
Pleasant Hills Children's Home is a basic child care facility licensed by the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Service. The Home was licensed in 1973.
The campus is located on approximately 1000 acres in a rural setting east of Fairfield, Texas. Children reside in one of four family-style homes referred to as cottage homes. The campus maintains a dining hall, maintenance/auto shop, baseball field, basketball and volleyball courts, swimming pool, playgrounds , pavilion, RV hook-ups/lodge, administration office, chapel and staff housing.
Children have access to fishing on various campus ponds. Portions of the property are reserved for the breeding, raising and caring of cattle, horses and pigs.
Pleasant Hills is funded through the gifts and contributions of cash and non-cash by churches, individuals, corporations, foundations and other interested friends. An annual budget is projected and approved by the Board of Directors.